10 tips to make the most of your visit to The Lights
Here’s the inside scoop for you to make the most of your visit to The Lights of Christmas! All those who like to plan ahead, keep reading. Those more spontaneous, read on as well because you might be surprised. We asked the experts—staff, volunteers, and guests—who have made The Lights an annual tradition, and these are their best tips:
- Come early—early in the month, early in the evening, to avoid the larger crowds. Also, Saturday nights are usually the busiest.
- If donuts are calling your name, head to the Donut Hut first. Another good time to get these tasty treats is around 9:30pm, right before they close.
- For those meeting up with friends at The Lights, plan to meet in the Joyland courtyard. You may end up parking in different areas and entering the event through different gates. Joyland courtyard is easy to find.
- Do you have children who love trains? Then, head straight to the Polar Express Train to get in line before it opens at 5:30pm. Follow it up with dinner at Tinhorn Town. Dancing in the aisles is allowed!
- Pony Rides and Shepherd’s Keep Petting Farm are great to visit between 5:00 – 8:00pm.
- Engineer Bear and Frosty the snowman love taking pictures with kiddos. You can find them hanging out in the Joyland courtyard. Note – they are usually on a break 7:00 – 7:30pm.
- The gift shops at The Lights are a great place for finding fun and unique gifts from local area artesans. Also, they have a 20% off sale after Christmas.
- There are lots of food options, indoor venues and outdoor vendors. Grab dinner and enjoy entertainment performances at Joyland Concert Hall, Tinhorn Town, or Starry Night Coffee House.
- There’s plenty of places to keep warm: several warming fires throughout the event and many indoor venue options.
- Keep an eye out on our Facebook page and blog for up-to-date news, fun contests, photos and more!
There’s many other activities and tips to mention, watch for them in future posts. Really, no matter how you decide to experience The Lights, it is an evening of magical memories!
Check out the NEW event map and information sheet to help make your evening plans.